Sunday, February 9, 2014

Words Create Pain, Despair and Can Have a Lasting Impact With Chronic Pain Patients


Most people don’t think a lot about the words they speak, what they say, how it comes across or how it may affect the person they are speaking to.  The one thing that we do need to consider is words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind. – Kipling, 1923.  Think about those words...

 

Just prior to my diagnosis with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS), I had several close colleagues that said to me, “You have to get a definite diagnosis because if this is CRPS or RSD it will end your life as you have known it!  We pray we are wrong, but if we are correct it will be life altering, your life will be forever changed – not in a good way.”  These were physicians that were speaking to me!  They were already planting the seeds in my head that if I was diagnosed with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome that it was going to be a train wreck or worse.  They were crushing any hope that I had for remission or for gaining control over the condition before I was even diagnosed!

 

In 1923 Kipling spoke some famous words to the Royal College of Surgeons in London:  “Not only do words inflect, egotize, narcotize, and paralyze, but they enter into the colour the minutest cells of the brain…”  Kipling understood how words could change the way another person thinks and feels, and influences people to do things they might not otherwise do.  Similar to drugs. 

 

Other words that were spoken thousands of years ago still ring in many minds today:  “Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.”  These words, often attributed to Jesus, are responsible for stirring the conscience of countless millions.

 

Words can heal.  Words can have lasting impact.  Words can destroy.

 

 

How Words Can Affect Chronic Pain Patients

 

Words retain their power even when they are spoken to a patient when under sedation or anesthetic.  Most people don’t realize that the medications utilized for sedation or anesthetic for a medical procedure or surgery are called hypnotics.  They affect your subconscious. 

 

When I was in the process of getting several Lumbar Sympathetic Blocks for my CRPS, I had several occasions when they tried to sedate me with Versed and Fentanyl.  Unfortunately, due to other medications I had been on for some time I was still awake when taken into the surgical suite.  While I was trying to get the attention of the OR nurses and my Pain Management doctor to let them know that I was still fully with it, I could hear the nurses talking about how painful the procedure was going to be, how sorry they were to see me having to go through this so many times, and many other negative comments about pain, the procedure and recovery.  At the time I was not thinking about what they were saying, I was more worried about getting their attention to get more medication on board so I would not have to be awake during this procedure!

 

Although I wasn’t thinking about what was said during this one procedure, everything that was said was recorded into my subconscious.  It was tucked away with the other information that I was told before my diagnosis, by other healthcare professional and even my own doctors.  As time goes on the words of caregivers, physicians, nurses, loved ones, friends and even our own words build up and can become detrimental to us in the long run.  Our subconscious is a very powerful tool, especially when it has been filled with negative comments, words and suggestions as to our situation and our outcome as Chronic Pain patients. 

 

There have been many studies at Stanford and Harvard Universities on the power of the subconscious mind.  It can be similar or related to the placebo effect.  I don’t want to down play any part of the negative comments by stating that, but it is the easiest way to explain it.  If you are going in for a procedure and the nurse or anesthesiologist tells you when you come out in the recovery room you will most likely feel nauseous, dizzy, and have pain… Then you have a very high likelihood that you will experience all of those exact side effects after the procedure.  On the other hand if they think about their words and tell the patient that everything well go smooth, you will return to recovery are warm, very comfortable and they will be there to meet your needs.  You will have a much better outcome.  More and more hospitals, surgical centers, ambulatory facility and doctor’s offices are looking at these statistics.

 

Words do have consequences, it remains a dilemma for many when they realize this. 

 

As my journey with CRPS continued I went through many Lumbar Sympathetic Blocks, Regional Blocks, Physical Therapy, many medication changes, and three Spinal Cord Stimulators (the last one was taken out as it was causing a build-up of scar tissue on the Dura of my Spine that would have caused paralysis), etc…  This all occurred over a matter of three to four years.  After my last Spinal Cord Stimulator was ex-planted (removed) my Pain Management doctor sat me down and told me he was at a loss.  He had no idea what to do anymore.  I had one of the most aggressive cases of CRPS that he had seen, it was extremely volatile and everything he had tried only made it worse.  He had no words of encouragement, no positive words, only words of discouragement!  I knew he was frustrated and I even asked him if I was not willing to give up, how was he willing to give up.  He had no idea what to say or how to react to this comment or question. 

 

By this time my CRPS had moved from my left foot/ankle up into my calf region, it had tried to mirror over into my right leg several times, it had moved into my back and was definitely on the move to other areas of my body.  It was apparent from his facial expression, his mannerisms and more importantly his words that he was throwing in the towel. 

 

I refused to give up!  I continued to search for answers, for some way of getting my CRPS into remission.  I knew in my heart that there had to be a way and I was determined to find it.

 

In my journey the one big thing that I found out was that all of the negative words that I had heard from prior to my diagnosis, in my procedures, at home, in my doctor’s office, from other’s with this condition that felt there was no cure or chance for remission, etc… that it impacted a part of my brain – the subconscious.  This only continued to feed my pain and made it worse.  It also lead to a diagnosis of PTSD in addition to my CRPS.  A lot of Chronic Pain patients have no idea that they are also dealing with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) in addition to their Chronic Pain.  This is a common combination that pain patients face, but are not diagnosed with.

 

Think of it this way, if someone tells you, you will have an awful headache following a procedure the odds are you will have that headache!   If they would have said you will come out of this procedure feeling great, pain free, etc… you would have a different outcome. 

 

Bottom line is that it is very important for those individual that are around Chronic Pain patients to pick their words wisely.  This includes the Chronic Pain patient themselves. When we get down and think negative words or play various negative scenarios through our mind it can be just as damaging. Physicians, nurses and those in the medical community have a larger responsibility as their words can change the way the patient thinks and feels, and influence patients to do things that they may not otherwise do or feel.

 

 

Find Your Voice

 

Finding your voice can and will change your life.  If you don’t believe you have the right or the confidence to speak up when you know you should, you will suffer.

 

If you have a physician, nurse or someone in your life that is speaking to you in a negative manner and affecting your outcome, speak up.  This is your life, you have to be your advocate or no one else will be.

 

If you resolve to develop confidence, you’ll change through your words.  Learn to speak up for yourself and you will help define who you are in the long run!

 

 

I hope this short article will help others with Chronic Pain, CRPS or RSD.  Should you have any questions or comments please leave them for me.  I enjoy hearing from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment